The Program for Community-Engaged Scholarship has a network of trusted partners, experienced staff, and institutional resources that make teaching a service course easy and rewarding. We offer a wide range of support to faculty, customized to the needs and interests of the professor and the course. Below are some examples of the type of support you can expect whether you cultivate a service perspective on- or off-campus.
Bring Service to the Classroom
ProCES can help you bring a public-oriented perspective to your course right here at the University, without leaving campus. Our staff can:
- arrange a community expert to speak to your class by drawing on our rich network of community partner organizations.
- organize on-campus special events that highlight the public implications of students' academic work.
- connect students with campus resources relevant to their community-oriented course work.
- provide pedagogical resources for service-oriented teaching.
Send Students into the World
If you want to send students out into the community as part of a service course, ProCES can:
- match you with trusted community partners accustomed to working with university students. ProCES cultivates long-term relationships with our partners and can introduce you to organizations that are best suited to your course goals. Browse our network of community partners.
- assist in the development of student projects that meet course learning goals and provide a benefit to the community partner.
- arrange and often fund transportation to off-campus trips related to the service work in courses.
- train and support AI's to oversee community-engaged student projects.
- identify and arrange course-related service opportunities for students during the semester.
We are excited to hear your ideas for incorporating service into your course and to identify ways that we can support your teaching. Contact Tara Carr-Lemke, the Associate Director of the Program for Community-Engaged Scholarship, at firstname.lastname@example.org to explore ProCES support for your course.